When 8 Mile burst on the movie scene, no one expected it to do as well as it did. Not only did it shoot the already popular Eminem to super stardom, it also won him an Oscar! The movie had some harsh scenes and a romance that ended up not being as romantic as we hoped. With such a great movie, and a lead as amazing as Eminem, there’s got to be some cool behind-the-scenes things from 8 Mile!
1. 8 Mile was the first movie to have a rap song win an Oscar!
2. The character of Future is based on Eminems real life best friend Proof!
Funny enough, Proof played another rapper called Lil’ Tic.
3. In the movie, Rabbit got his nickname because he had big ears as a kid. In real life, Eminem’s nickname was Mickey, after Mickey mouse, for the same reason!
That’s kind of cute!
4. The director asked Eminem to dye his hair back to it’s original color so the audience could better relate to Jimmy Rabbit, rather than Eminem.
I personally think he looks better with dark hair!
5. The movie couldn’t film at Shelter, the club that Eminem started rapping at, because it had become too nice of a club!
6. During the rap battle scenes, Eminem was suppose to just mime his words instead of talking, but after having a bunch of rappers challenge him, he finally started to rap back.
7. For his role, Eminem lost 24 pounds.
Holy, that’s a lot of weight for the already slim star!
8. The group called 313 is a reference to the Detroit area code. However, the suburbs on the other side of 8 mile had an 810 area code, and people from that subdivision are often labelled as such.
9. Quentin Tarantino was approached to direct, but he had to turn the job down because he was working on Kill Bill.
Apparently he really wanted to direct 8 Mile, though!
10. Eminem appears in every single scene of the movie!
11. Apparently, during filming, Eminem and Brittany Murphy became romantically involved.
She admitted it in an interview on David Letterman!
12. There was supposed to be a sequel about a down-on-his-luck boxer trying to regain custody of his daughter. The project was scrapped, but then later became the movie Southpaw!
Remember, that boxing movie with Jake Gyllenhaal?
13. The movie was transferred to movie theaters under the title Mars Project.
That’ll fool them!
14. Gary Sinise was originally suppose to play Jimmy’s mom’s boyfriend.
He would’ve been fantastic!
15. The piece of paper that Eminem wrote “Lose Yourself” on went for a little over $10,000 at auction.